The Virtual Business Professional (VBP) is a project for students and instructors around the world who want to engage in a global virtual team experience with students and instructors from other universities and other countries. The primary purpose of the VBP is to help students develop virtual and cross-cultural collaboration skills using state-of-the-art collaboration tools.
As a student, you will be able to add valuable skills to your resume. You will learn how to communicate effectively in virtual work environments, use social and AI-driven collaboration tools, navigate cross-cultural team processes, and hone your leadership skills!
This project emphasizes the development of critical-thinking, communication, and virtual and cross-cultural team-building skills among students with the following specific goals:
- Learn how to collaborate in global virtual teams;
- Introduce students to a virtual collaboration platform;
- Allow students to reflect on and assess their effectiveness in the virtual collaboration;
- Teach students leadership skills in virtual and cross-cultural collaboration projects;
- Provide students an opportunity to examine, analyze, and assess real company challenges and identify recommendations.
Comments from Past VBP Participants and Professors
- "The VBP project was a truly valuable experience (...) I am grateful for the opportunity and challenge of working in a virtual, global team during my college career." - University of Southern California student
- "It was fun. I had an opportunity to talk with other students from different universities and countries, and I liked it. You can learn how other students from elsewhere works on projects, what are their methods and approach to it." - Vilnius University student
- "At the start students thought that it will be extremely difficult, but later they recognized that virtual cooperation is real thing and the virus cannot destroy this channel." - Vilnius University professor
- "I felt the accomplishment of working with people from all over the world. I have never done anything like this before. This was a fantastic opportunity." - Kennesaw State University student
- "Compassion, empathy, being considerate of others' situation, etc, are what I have heard from my students. I think these are what students learned this time more so than the last time in VBP." - University of Dayton professor
- "This assignment has allowed me to become more confident in [working virtually]. The world is shifting to a virtual basis…and I am immensely ready to take on the new changes because of VBP." - Oklahoma State University student
If you are a faculty member interested in participating in VBP, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a current participant of VBP, please click here to access the course materials (password required).