The Virtual Business Professional (VBP) project was started by a small group of business communication faculty at the Marshall School of Business at USC in 2013. We wanted our students to develop skills necessary to succeed in a fast-paced global business environment that is increasingly relying on social platforms and virtual collaboration for their internal and external communication.
In Fall 2015, a partnership was formed between three universities, the University of Southern California, Aalto University in Finland, and the University of Arizona for participation in the global VBP project.
Since then the project grew with more schools and countries participating every year:
- Fall 2016 participants: 204 students and 51 teams from 6 universities and 4 countries
- Spring 2017 participants: 415 students and 71 teams from 9 universities and 7 countries
- Spring 2018 participants: 578 students and 96 teams from 14 universities and 7 countries
- Spring 2019 participants: 653 students and 116 teams from 14 universities and 9 countries
- Spring 2020 participants: 555 students and 90 teams from 16 universities and 7 countries
The VBP project is now open to all instructors who see the value in teaching virtual communication, social collaboration, virtual leadership, and cross-cultural communication skills.
VBP Project Partners are...
Comments from Past VBP Companies:
- “Participating in VBP 2020 was an inspiring experience. The teams that worked on a market entry strategy for AUDI’s UTR looked at the project from many different perspectives and generated many new insights for us. Their results are very helpful and are being used for the development of our market entry strategies. I’d be happy to bring another project to VBP in the future.” - Audi project owner