Hiring International Students


International students enrolled at USC generally hold an F-1 visa or J-1 visa. No paperwork is required for an employer who hires F-1 or J-1 students, except for the offer letter itself.  All paperwork is handled by the students, the school, and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Also, there are no fees associated with hiring a student for Curricular, Academic, or Optional Practical Training.

MBA and Master's Programs Awarded STEM Designation

USC Marshall's full-time MBA and Master's programs (MS in Business Analytics, MS in Marketing, MS in Global Supply Chain Management and MS in Finance) have been officially designated STEM programs by the US Department of Homeland Security, reflecting the integration of technology and data analytics into the business school curriculum. 

What Employers Should Know about Hiring Internationals

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it illegal to hire international students because they do not have a green card?

No. Federal regulations permit the employment of international students on F-1 and J-1 visas within certain limits. These visas allow students to work in jobs related to their concentrations during their studies or after graduation during a period Optional Practical Training (OPT).  

- Hide
What does it mean to hire STEM international students?

F-1 students who graduated with a USC Marshall business graduate degree with a STEM designation (FTMBA, MSF, MSBA, MSGSCM) may be eligible for an additional 24-month extension of their F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization, resulting in up to 36 months of total work eligibility in the United States. These graduates can work for 3 years before they will require employer sponsorship. There is no cost to the employer during the OPT period. For more information”

- Hide
Do international students need work authorization before I can hire them?

International students must have work authorization before they begin actual employment, but not before they are offered employment. Many F-1 students will be in the process of obtaining work authorization while they are interviewing for employment. Students can give employers a reasonable estimate of when they expect to receive work authorization. 

- Hide
Even if it’s legal to hire international students, won’t it cost a lot of money and involve a lot of paperwork?

No. The only cost to the employer hiring international students is the time and effort to interview and select the best candidate for the job. The international student office handles the paperwork involved in securing the work authorization for F-1 and J-1 students. In fact, a company may save money by hiring international students because many of them are exempt from Social Security (FICA) and Medicare tax requirements.

- Hide

Contact the USC Marshall Graduate Career Services office to learn about our international students.