The PSI welcomes Dr. Ben Houltberg as its new Director of Research!
Dr. Ben Houltberg is a developmental scientist by training and has spent the past decade researching the social and psychological determinants of human performance. He is widely published on topics such as emotion regulation, socialization (particularly in family contexts), adversity and resilience, and identity development and emotional well-being among high performers. In addition to conducting academic research to develop theory related mindset and performance, Dr. Houltberg is also a licensed counselor - he conducts applied research to inform the training of entrepreneurs, athletes, and community members.
Some publications from Dr. Houltberg related to mindset and performance include:
- Houltberg, B. J., Wang, K., Qi, G. & Nelson, C. (2018) Self-narrative profiles of elite athletes and comparisons on psychological wellbeing. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 89, 354-360.
- Morris, A.S., Criss, M. M., Silk, J. S., & Houltberg, B. J. (2017). The impact of parenting on emotion regulation during childhood and adolescence. Child Development Perspectives, 11, 233-238.
- Houltberg, B. J., Morris, A. S., Cui, L., Henry, C. S., & Criss, M. M. (2016). The role of youth anger in explaining links between parenting and early adolescent prosocial and antisocial behavior. Journal of Early Adolescence, 36, 297-318.
- Criss, M., Houltberg, B. J., Cui, L., Bolser, C., Morris, A., & Silk, J. (2016). Direct and indirect links between peer factors and adolescent adjustment difficulties. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 43, 83-90.
- Cui, L., Morris, A. S., Harrist, A. W., Larzelere, R. E., Criss, M. M., & Houltberg, B. J. (2015). Adolescent RSA responses during an anger discussion task: Relations to emotion regulation and adjustment. Emotion, 15, 360-372.
- Houltberg, B. J., Henry, C. S., & Morris, A. S. (2012). Family interactions, exposure to violence, and emotion regulation: Perceptions of children and early adolescents at-risk. Family Relations, 61, 283-296.
- Plunkett, S. W., Henry, C. S., Houltberg, B. J., Sands, T., & Abarca, S. (2008). Academic support by significant others and educational resilience in Mexican origin ninth grade students from intact families. Journal of Early Adolescence, 28, 333-355.
Check back for updates on the PSI's research projects and publications.
If you are a student interested in becoming a Research Assistant at the PSI during the Fall, Spring, or Summer term, please fill out an application here: https://usc.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3W1Elsbe7M0jGRv
If you are a graduate student or faculty member interested in developing research related to performance science, please contact Dr. Ben Houltberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.