Social Impact Scholars Program
BSEL's Social Impact Scholars Program is a highly selective nine-month mentoring and skills-building experience for a group of rising juniors and seniors who are engaged and pursuing careers in social impact.
Rising juniors and seniors from all majors are encouraged to apply. Students applying for the AY23 Scholars cohort must be enrolled at USC for the fall 2022 and spring 2023 semesters.
We seek students who:
- Think broadly about the "wicked problems" facing the world, and see themselves as agents of change in responding to these problems.
- Engage with their communities in meaningful ways.
- Enjoy learning from other people, especially those who have different life experiences.
- Pursue opportunities for self-reflection and growth.
Note: As this is a highly experiential program, students must commit to attending all cohort meetings, which will be held on Friday mornings, approximately once a month. The cohort meeting schedule will be finalized in the summer.
- Mentorship from leading social impact professionals and social entrepreneurs. (A list of past mentors can be found here.)
- Professional and personal development workshops to foster competence and leadership skills relevant to social impact careers.
- An invitation to a formal meal with all mentors and mentees.
- At least two one-on-one meetings with a mentor.
- A career shadowing experience with a mentor.
- Access to the BSEL student and professional network and advising from BSEL staff.
- Membership in a cohort of like-minded students offering feedback and support.
- Participate in a day-long orientation in August. (Orientation is typically held the Sunday before the start of the fall semester.)
- Attend a group dinner with mentors in early September (date to be given at orientation).
- Engage fully in monthly cohort meetings and BSEL events (approximately five to six hours per month).
- Schedule and attend meetings with mentors.
- Attend an end-of-the-year event (usually held the last week in April or first week of May).
- Serve as official ambassadors of BSEL within and outside of the USC community. This means identifying publicly as a BSEL Scholar and prioritizing attendance at other BSEL opportunities, including Jacobson Sustainable Impact Lectures, site visits and networking events.
Check back in late 2022.
Applications for the 2022–2023 academic year is closed!
To apply, students must submit an online form that includes their resume and answers to three (3) short-answer questions:
1. What area(s) of social impact are you most passionate about? (300 words)
2. What steps have you taken to address this issue? (300 words)
3. Where does your commitment to impact come from? In other words, tell us about what influence or experience has inspired you to make impact. (300 words)
The application for the 2022 Social Impact Scholars in now closed. Learn more about this cohort and check back in late 2022 for more information on our next application cycle.
For questions and additional information, contact Marelle Berry, BSEL Senior Student Engagement Programs Advisor.
2021–2022 BSEL Scholars
Below is the current cohort of BSEL Scholars. For the full list of previous Scholars, please click here.