- Students will acquire the critical thinking and research skills to become independent scholars, at a level comparable to those who obtain faculty positions at top research universities.
- Students will master a specific set of methods appropriate to their dissertation, with the depth needed to produce methodologically rigorous research.
- Develop substantive knowledge in their area of specialization.
- Design and conduct original research in their area of specialization.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate the results of their research in a clear and effective manner.
- Demonstrate the ability to teach university-level courses in their area of specialization.