Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How can I learn more about this program? Are there any information sessions or admission events?
- Yes, you can attend the information sessions of MS in Marketing program.
- Do I have to register to attend the information session?
- Yes, registration is required to attend the seminar. You can register here.
- How may I learn about this program if I am unable to come to the USC campus?
- You can attend a webinar if you are unable to attend in-person. Registration is required to attend the webinar: Register here. Once you register, you will receive an email from us with access instructions.
- I cannot attend an info session or a webinar due to prior commitments, is there any way I can get more information about this program?
- We encourage all applicants to thoroughly research the detailed program information available online. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions not answered by our web pages.
- Do I have to register to visit the campus?
- Yes. Please visit the USC website and explore the various options available for campus tours: https://visit.usc.edu/tours/
- I am a senior student now and will complete my undergraduate degree after May 16, 2018. Can I apply for this program?
- Not at this time. All students applying for this program need to have completed their degrees before the start of the Summer 2018 semester on May 16, 2018 in order to join the program.
Application Process, Admissions and Eligibility
- What are the requirements for applying to this program?
- Four-year undergraduate degree, or equivalent, from an accredited institution
- A completed online application
- Official academic transcripts. Upload official copies of your academic transcripts with your application in addition to sending official academic transcripts to USC
- Official GMAT or GRE score reports. You must have taken the GMAT or GRE exam by the time you submit an application. The GMAT or GRE requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. We recommend uploading unofficial copies of your GMAT or GRE scores with your application in addition to sending official scores to USC
- Required essays, as outlined in the online application. An optional essay is available to provide any additional information you wish to convey to the Admissions Committee
- A professional resume
- Two letters of recommendation, which must be submitted online
- Application fee: $155
- International applicants (if applicable): Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report
- What is the minimum GPA score?
- The minimum acceptable GPA is 3.0.
- Do I have to have a related work experience?
- We prefer at least 12 months of related work experience, but it is not a requirement.
- What are the application deadlines?
- The application deadlines for the MS in Marketing program can be found here.
- After submitting the application, when can I expect to receive an application decision?
- Notification periods for each deadline can be found here.
- I cannot find the Master of Science in Marketing Program in the application program list.
- This will happen if you mistakenly select the Fall Term. Choose Summer Term and you will be able to find the MS in Marketing Program.
- Do I have to submit all the materials (including official transcripts and official test scores) before or on the deadline?
- You have to submit your online application (this includes all the details required in the application including essays, self-reported transcripts, and soft copies of GMAT/GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores) and letters of recommendation. You will also have to pay application fees before or on the deadline. We encourage you to contact your recommendation providers at least 15 days prior to the deadline so that we receive your letters on or before the deadline. We will not accept an incomplete application.
- All other supporting application materials are also expected on or before the deadline.
- What if I submit my online application after the deadline?
- If you fail to submit your application before the deadline, your application will be shifted to the next round. In case of the final round, your application will not be considered if it is not complete as of the final application deadline.
- How can I check the status of my application?
- You can check the status of your application on the Marshall Admissions Portal using your ID and password. If you encounter any problems you can contact us at email@example.com.
- Can I reapply in later rounds after getting rejected in the previous rounds?
- Applicants denied admission in any round of the application process must wait until the following academic year to reapply. Applicants who are admitted to the program but are unable to attend will need to reapply again the following academic year.
- What are the program codes for submitting the test scores?
- For GMAT and PTE scores, please use the code: 389-9C-23.
- For GRE and TOEFL scores, please use 4852.
- Can I request an interview?
- After reviewing your application, the admission committee may invite you for an interview. Interviews are by invitation only.
- If I receive an interview invitation, does this mean that I will be offered admission?
- No, interviews are conducted to assess your suitability for the program. Interviews should be considered the next phase of the application process and not the final decision. After your interview with the admissions committee, you may or may not be offered admission.
- What address should my university use to send official transcripts?
If sending your transcripts via regular mail, please use the following address:
University of Southern California
USC Office of Graduate Admission
3601 South Flower Street, Room 112
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0915
If sending your transcripts via courier service, such as DHL or FedEx, please use the following address:
University of Southern California
USC Office of Graduate Admission and Financial Aid
3601 South Flower Street, Tyler 112
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0915
Phone: (213) 740-1111
- Who can provide me a letter of recommendation?
- Two letters of recommendation are required. These are used as a gauge of your professional achievements and managerial and leadership potential. We prefer that one of your letters of recommendation be provided by a direct supervisor. This person should provide specific observations and examples of your leadership, teamwork, analytical skills and personal qualities. Another can be a professor who can provide evidence of your academic and preferably marketing skills. Your letters of recommendation must be submitted online.
- I have a bachelor's degree from a 3-year program. Am I eligible to apply to this program?
- Only the students who have completed 16 years of education (12 years of school and 4 years of undergraduate study) are eligible for admission to the Master of Science in Marketing Program. If you hold a 3-year degree, we encourage you to complete a 1-year post-graduate/graduate level certificate/degree program before applying for the MS in Marketing program.
- Can I simultaneously apply for multiple programs in Marshall, such as MS in Marketing and MS in Business Analytics? Does that affect my application results?
- USC allows individuals to apply to up to three different programs each semester. It should not affect your application results, because each application is submitted separately, and reviewers do not have access to the applications submitted to other programs.
- Do I need a business and/or marketing background to apply to this program?
- No, but it is important to have some knowledge or experience in marketing to maximize learning from the MS in Marketing Program.
Curriculum and Number of Credits
- Where can I get a curriculum overview?
- Please visit our Academics page.
- How many credits does it take to complete the program?
- We require 30 credits to earn the MS in Marketing degree.
- What courses do I have to take to fulfill core curriculum requirements?
- The MS in Marketing program curriculum includes 6.5 required courses: GSBA 542 – Communication for Management, GSBA 528 – Marketing Management, DSO 510 – Business Analytics, MKT 512 – Customer Insights and Analysis or MKT 525 – Consumer Behavior, MKT 556 – Digital Marketing, MKT 599 – Marketing Analytics and MKT 560 – Marketing Strategy (Capstone course).
- What are the elective options to choose from?
- We offer many elective courses and you can choose any electives depending upon your career goals and preferences. You can find more information here.
- Do you accept GRE scores for this program? Will you prefer the GMAT over the GRE?
- We accept both the GRE and GMAT exams.
- Do I have to take TOEFL/IELTS? I am an international student and all my education was done in English, do I still have to take TOEFL/IELTS?
- International students must provide proof of English language proficiency even if all of their education was conducted in English UNLESS the individual completed all four years of his/her bachelor's degree at an officially recognized university in an Anglophone country where English is both the language of instruction and the only officially recognized language of the country. Those countries include the USA, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada (except Quebec). For more information, visit: http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/international/englishproficiency.html
- I am an international student in the 2+2/3+1 undergraduate program, can I get a TOFEL/IELTS waiver?
- No. The TOFEL/IELTS waiver is granted only if the candidate completed four full years as an undergraduate studying in the United States or one of the other Anglophile countries.
- Do you prefer TOEFL over IELTS?
- We accept both the TOEFL and IELTS exams.
- What score will you consider if I have taken GMAT/GRE more than once?
- We will consider the highest score.
- I have a master's degree. Do I still have to submit GMAT/GRE scores?
Financial Aid, On-Campus Jobs and Program Costs
- What are the tuition and overall costs of attendance?
- Master of Science in Marketing students are required to complete 30 credits to graduate. You can calculate the approximate program fees based on the fees per unit, as listed here: www.usc.edu/soc
- Do you offer scholarships?
- Scholarships are considered when complete applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee. For additional information on financial assistance please visit the USC Financial Aid Office online at www.usc.edu/admission/fa/ or call (213) 740-4444.
- Are there any opportunities to work on campus to help cover living expenses?
- Yes, you can apply for on-campus jobs, teaching and research assistantships.
- Are there any teaching/research assistantships available for students of this program?
- Yes, many professors offer teaching and research assistantship positions. Students are welcome to search for positions and apply beforehand if they want such opportunities.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the structure of the MS in Marketing program? How long does it take to complete the program?
- The program can be completed in 12 months with full time coursework.
- Domestic students only: It typically takes 21 months to complete the course work if you decide to complete the program part-time (two courses per semester).
- I'm an international student. Can I choose to be enrolled as a part-time student?
- No. International student visa holders are required to complete the program in 12 months. No exceptions.
- Can I apply for admission and begin in fall?
- No. The MS in Marketing Program offers admission beginning in the Summer term. You also cannot defer your admission to Fall. Summer courses are the core courses for the Master of Science in Marketing program and these courses will be offered in only in the Summer.
- Can I study online? Can I take courses on USC's Orange County branch?
- No, this program is located at the University Park Campus only.
- Do you offer classes in the evening for part-time students?
- Yes, we do.
- I want to know more about OPT.
- garding OPT information, at this moment we are asking departments to refer students to the following link and online workshop: http://ois.usc.edu/employment/employment-f1/opt/
- Dates will be updated mid-summer to reflect future semester graduations.
- Is the MS in Marketing a STEM degree?
- No, MS in Marketing does not fall in the STEM category.
- Does the MS Marketing program offer Progressive degree option?
- How can I apply for a graduate certificate? What are the graduate certificates available?
- The only doable certificate is the Cinema, due to the one-year nature of this program and that requires more than 30 credits to complete. Business analytics certificate will not be available due to statistics course requirement in the Fall semester which is a pre-requisite to the 3 other courses needed to complete the certificate.
- To learn more about Cinema certificate, please call School of Cinematic Arts at: 213-740-8358 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How many people do you admit from my country?
- We do not have a quota for any specific country. We do not take nationality into consideration when making our admittance decision.
As a newly admitted graduate student, you should follow these essential steps to make sure your paperwork is in order:
- What are the next steps after I am admitted to the program?
- Complete the Statement of Intent: Graduate Studies form which you can access via https://you.usc.edu/login/ .
- Submit the required commitment deposit: We require a commitment deposit to reserve your place in the program.
- USC Computer Account and Email: After your Statement of Intent form has been received by the Office of Admission, you can set up your USC computer account. Log in to http://itservices.usc.edu/uscnetid/ to set your username and password and receive your USC email address.
- International students: Please contact USC Office of International Services at (213) 740-2666, email@example.com or visit their website http://ois.usc.edu/ to learn more about the required steps for obtaining your visa.
- Where can I find information about Housing?
- For information on Housing please visit USC Housing website: http://housing.usc.edu/
- How do I buy a parking pass?
- For information on Parking please visit USC Transportation website: http://transnet.usc.edu/index.php/how-to-purchase-a-permit-2/
- You can also find information about parking rates here: http://transnet.usc.edu/index.php/parking-rates/
- I need more information about Commuting to USC.
- For information about Transportation please visit USC Transportation website: http://transnet.usc.edu
- How can I pay my tuition and fees?
- USC offers a variety of student account payment options. For learning about how you can pay your tuition and fees please visit USC Student Financial Services website: https://sfs.usc.edu/.
- Please visit FAQ page of USC Student Financial Services website, they have provided thorough answers for your questions: http://fbs.usc.edu/depts/sfs/faqs/145/cat/157/epay-uscepay/
- When is the timing of tuition and fee bill?
- Generally, Summer Fees are due 30 days after registration. In addition, the fee bill for Fall Semester will be sent upon registration and are due the Friday prior to semester starting.
- How is the $2,000 deposit credited on the Summer Fee bill?
- Once registration has been completed and the fee bill has been distributed, $2,000 deposit will be credited.
- For more information, Please visit Student Financial Services website at: https://fbs.usc.edu/depts/sfs.
Do you have questions unanswered by this FAQ? Contact the USC MS in Marketing team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.