Building a successful, multi-generational family business is hard work and it takes a lot of work. Here are some of the resources that we have recommended to our members.
Books and Articles
- Institute for Preparing Heirs
YouTube: USC Family Business Program has a YouTube channel. Please subscribe and watch conversations with Lee Hausner and other subject matter experts with Ken Ude, Director.
- Entering the Family Business
- Preparing Gen 1 to Exit
- Advisory Boards
- Family Meetings
- Management vs Ownership
- Managing Your Hat Collection
- Institute for Preparing Heirs: www.preparingheirs.com
- The Board Group: www.TheBoardGroup.com
- George Isaac Consulting: www.GeorgeIsaac.com
- Noam Wasserman, PhD.: www.NoamWasserman.com
Assessment Tools and Profiles
The USC Marshall recommends several self-assessment tools and profiles to provide feedback and guidance to family owned businesses. Here are links to a few:
- Six Transitions Profile: Provides insights on where a family is in relation to the Six Transition Model in the book 'Hats Off To You 2'
- Personal Well Being Profile: Provides feedback to the individual, based on an appendix in the book 'Hats Off To You 2'
- Sustainable Value Wheel: A visual planning tool from The Board Group that focuses on 15 factors that create value in a company.
- 4x4 Strategic Intelligence Audit: A self-audit tool that provides feedback on a company's strategic decision making process