- Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Programs
- MBA Programs
- Graduate Accounting Programs
- Specialized Masters Programs
- Executive Education
- Certificate Programs
- PhD Program
- Experiential Learning Center
- Online Degree Programs
- Faculty & Research
- Academic Units
- Centers of Excellence
- Faculty Directory
- Alumni & Friends
- News and Events
- Alumni Online
- Alumni Groups
- Marshall Partners
- Support Marshall
- Contact Us
- Corporate Connections
- Engagement Opportunities
- Corporate Advisory Board
- Recruit and Hire
- News Room
- Featured Stories
- Upcoming Events
- Marshall in the Media
- Marshall News
- About Marshall
- To become the global leader you seek to be, you need:
C-suite-level confidence from stronger leadership and interpersonal skills, to build partnerships, influence others and drive results in a diverse global environment, confirming that you are a globally powerful leader;
Top-tier global credentials, so business leaders seek you out for hiring and promotion as they feel more confident in your ability to lead;
A truly global network, expanding your range of career and business opportunities, as well as your understanding of the global business environment, so you can effectively lead worldwide.
- GEMBA delivers the credibility and transformation you seek, with the following key attributes:
The credibility and prestige of USC Marshall — the globally recognized USC Marshall MBA degree, from a business school consistently ranked among the top in the world. Plus the prestige of Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), widely recognized as a top-five institution in mainland China;
Membership in two famed, global alumni associations — USC's 'Trojan Family,' a 300,000-member global network of enormous wealth, influence, diversity and geographical reach, and the prestigious alumni association of SJTU, with more than 100,000 connections in China and overseas.
World-class, globally engaged faculty, with a laser focus on fostering the strategic thinking, leadership skills and executive confidence necessary for you to excel at the C-suite level;
A unique, integrated and theme-based curriculum, strategically designed to ensure your C-suite-level mastery of the challenges and opportunities facing 21st century business leaders;
A truly global perspective, informed by study in several dynamic, international business centers, with peers from many nations, and the world-leading alumni networks.
- Average age 38, the majority with East Asian heritage, but typically representing about a dozen nationalities.
- About 70% live and work in the Shanghai metropolitan region. The remaining 30% fly in from in other cities in East Asia, as well as from the west coast of North America.
- - About 30% are PRC citizens.
- - They work in everything from major multinationals to family-owned businesses and entrepreneurial initiatives, from the manufacturing sector to professional services.
- Ten years' full-time working experience, at least six of which in a managerial role;
- A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution;
- Ability to participate dynamically in a 100% English-language learning environment;
- The understanding and support of your employer and family, because of the substantial time commitment required to complete the program successfully.
- Program tuition, plus course materials;
- Most meals during the class sessions;
- Lodging and ground transportation for our three overseas trips;
- Lodging and all meals for the Theme 1 kick-off theme at a five-star hotel in the suburbs of Shanghai.
- Payments received after deadlines are subject to late fees.
- Deposits (certifications of intent to register) will be deducted from the first installment.
- U.S. federal Stafford loans, which offer favorable interest rates and origination fees but are available only for U.S. citizens. Visit Federal Student Aid for complete information.
- Private student loans are available from numerous lending institutions in many countries.
Global Executive MBA in ShanghaiThe GEMBA program is based on Marshall's EMBA programs in Southern California, consistently ranked top 10 or even top five in the United States.
Maintain Your Career While Part of the ProgramCollaboration between two top business schools: USC’s Marshall School of Business and Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why should I choose the GEMBA Shanghai program?
A. You seek to become an increasingly successful and globally relevant C-suite leader. But you face barriers. You may not be getting key promotions and job offers. Or your skill set may no longer be sufficient to meet your growing leadership challenges. Or you're not receiving the increases in compensation you know you're capable of earning.
Q. Who are the GEMBA students? Who will I be studying with?
A. GEMBA students are uncommonly diverse, in their industries and professional backgrounds as well as their nationalities and residences.
Q: When does the GEMBA program start? Is the schedule executive-friendly?
A. Your first class day will be 7 May 2015, in a five-star hotel in Shanghai's Sheshan suburb. We hold our GEMBA sessions about once every six weeks, as five-day intensive modules. Our students and alumni confirm that our schedule is ideal for rising executives with increasingly global roles.
| back to top |
Q. What are my chances of being admitted to GEMBA?
A. We require:
If you meet these requirements, and your career trajectory is sufficiently globalized, you have an good chance of being offered admission to the GEMBA program.
Q. Does GEMBA require GMAT or TOEFL?
A. We have offered our top-ten ranked EMBA program in Southern California for nearly 30 year, and our GEMBA Shanghai program for ten years, and we've consistently avoided requiring these tests. Our in-depth admissions process, which features a formal interview and other substantial interactions, produces GEMBA student populations that are more dynamic and focused than that of any class resulting from a test-based admissions process. We seek candidates who are not only highly qualified, but also well suited to our program. However, we encourage candidates who have GMAT or TOEFL scores to submit them, as additional proof of ability.
Q: Does GEMBA admit candidates with less than a bachelor's degree?
A. In rare cases, less than 10% of any class, we consider candidates who are otherwise exceptionally strong (career accomplishments) who don't have bachelor's degrees. Please contact our office about your individual situation.
Q What is the admissions process?
1. We ask that all candidates send us a resume at the first stage. Please e-mail to the GEMBA Shanghai Office.
2. We require candidates to complete the online application. Candidates may apply at any time, using USC Marshall's on-line applications system. A complete application includes:
a) Official transcripts from each educational institution attended;
b) Two letters of recommendations;
c) Two essay(s) of 500 words each;
d) A US $150 application fee, payable by credit card.
3. We conduct an admissions interview with every qualified candidate who submits the online application. Interviewers include our academic and administrative leadership, as well as one of our alumni. The interview takes about 45 minutes in English. In the interview, we seek to learn more about the candidate's career accomplishments and goals, as well as his or her reasons for seeking an EMBA education. We offer provisional admission (contingent on successful completion of USC's admissions process) to candidates who pass the interview stage.
4. We require all applicants to submit official transcripts from each post high school academic institution attended (certified English translation required for non-English transcripts). For example, if you attended ABC University for one semester and transferred to XYZ University for the remainder of your undergraduate studies, you would need to submit transcripts from both ABC and XYZ Universities.
5. Candidates who completed their undergraduate or higher degrees in the United States should send their transcripts to:
USC-SJTU Global Executive MBA (GEMBA) in Shanghai
A110 Antai Building
Shanghai Jiaotong University, Xuhui Campus
1954 Huashan Rd. Shanghai, PRC
6. Candidates who completed their undergraduate or higher degrees outside the USA should have their transcripts sent to World Education Service (WES). GEMBA pays the fee for the WES degree validation service. Requirements for WES degree validation vary by country; contact the GEMBA Shanghai Office for details on how to work with WES.
Q. May I apply on-line?
A. We accept only on-line applications, though the transcripts must be sent on paper to USC.
Q. How do I obtain my transcripts, and where do I send them?
A. Requirements vary by country and academic institution. Contact our GEMBA Shanghai office for details.
Q. What should I do when I'm accepted?
A. To secure your seat in the GEMBA program, you must pay a US$5,000 non-refundable deposit. See 'How Should I Pay' below for details.
Once you've paid your deposit, you will receive your initial course materials. Begin your GEMBA studies by preparing well for the first class session, starting May 2015.
We hold our annual orientation session for the incoming class in mid April. Join us for this valuable, but not mandatory, session in Shanghai – meet your new classmates and gain a stronger understanding of your GEMBA journey.
Q. Do all students take the same classes? Do you offer any specialization or electives?
A. All students in each cohort attend the same class sessions, all at the same time. We have proven over decades that this program structure delivers the right educational experience – one that fosters the development of C-suite thinking and global leadership.
Q. How will I be graded in GEMBA? How do you use assignments and exams?
A. Reflecting our integrated, theme-based curriculum, we award you one grade for each theme. This grade appears on your transcript, though we also give you subject-by-subject grades. The overall theme grades appear on your transcript. Our faculty of course use all the common tools for assessing your academic progress -- quizzes, in-class evaluation, tests and projects. You must maintain a 3.0 grade point average to graduate from the GEMBA program.
Q. How long are the overseas trips? What are the destinations?
A. The second and final sessions of the program are week-long intensive sessions on the USC campus in Los Angeles. During the second year of the program we will visit one ex China Asian economy (Southeast Asia most recently) for five days of company visits and conversation with local business leaders.
Q.. How may I learn more about the program?
A. Continue to read our material, whether on the website or our printed matter.
A. Join our GEMBA seminars and information sessions.
A. We invite all qualified candidates to attend a GEMBA class session, or to visit our campus when class is not in session, to meet our students and faculty, and to spend time in discussion with our academic and administrative leadership, all with the goal of helping candidates understand more about the program. Deciding to join an EMBA program is a major decision; the combined requirement of time and tuition is a huge resource commitment. Therefore, we seek to do all we can to give candidates the information and perspective they deserve for quality decision-making.
Q. How much does the program cost, and what does the cost cover?
A. The tuition for XIII, beginning in May 2016, is US$103,000 (RMB665,000), which covers:
Air transportation is not covered, nor is lodging in Shanghai for those who require it.
Q. How should I pay the tuition?
A. You may pay in four equal installments, in either US$ or RMB (the deposit of US$5,000 should be paid before your first payment). Tuition payments are due in late April and late August of each year of the program. The first tuition installment is due by 30 April 2015.
Payment options Details I. Wire transfer to USC
Remit by wire to:
Bank of America
Money Transfer Service
100 West 33rd Street
New York, NY 10001
Transit Routing Number: 0260-0959-3
Account Number: 1459-8-08242
Account Name: USC Wire Account
For international wires: SWIFT code: BOFAUS3NReference: Marshall Global Executive MBA (GEMBA) Program
Student USC ID (10-digit):
II. Wire transfer to SJTU
Account Name: 上海交通大学If you want to pay by RMB wire transfer, please contact the GEMBA Shanghai Office.
Account Number: 449461987615
Bank Name: 中国银行上海交通大学徐汇校区支行
Reference: USC GEMBA
III. Foreign currency credit card We accept credit card payment by e-mail, and we require the following:
Last Name: ___________ First Name: ____________ Middle Initial: ____
I authorize you to charge the amount of US$xxxx to my
□ Visa □ MasterCard □ Discover
Account # ______________________ Security Code # ___________
Expiration Date: _________ Signature ___________________________
III. RMB cash or credit card
If you want to pay RMB by cash or credit card, please contact the GEMBA Shanghai Office.
Q: Are student loans or scholarship available?
A. GEMBA does not provide scholarships, but we know of a few loan options:
Q. May I pay tuition in RMB?
A. We accept RMB tuition payments from up to 20% of each class.