- Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Programs
- MBA Programs
- Graduate Accounting Programs
- Specialized Masters Programs
- Executive Education
- Certificate Programs
- PhD Program
- Experiential Learning Center
- Faculty & Research
- Academic Units
- Centers of Excellence
- Faculty Directory
- Mentoring Resources
- Alumni & Friends
- News and Events
- Alumni Online
- Alumni Groups
- Marshall Partners
- Support Marshall
- Contact Us
- Corporate Connections
- Engagement Opportunities
- Corporate Advisory Board
- Recruit and Hire
- News Room
Executive Leadership Skills
- Featured Stories
- Upcoming Events
- Marshall in the Media
- Marshall News
- About Marshall
- Learn more about your style of leading and how to leverage it to increase productivity and revenue
- Learn how to communicate, motivate and inspire others
- Discover how to leverage teamwork for optimal decisions
- Reinvent your decision making approaches to successfully address fundamental shifts in your environment
- Understand what types of communications work most effectively
- Learn how to become far more persuasive
- Learn how to inspire and motivate through your communications
- Discover how to make your messages more memorable and enduring
- Assess your leadership style and skills using assessment tools
- Identify your areas for personal development
- Learn the implications of critical transitions for your leadership style
- Leveraging the natural spotlight of attention on you as a leader to influence the behavior and decisions of your team and organization
- Develop a deeper appreciation for the benefits and challenges of organizational networks
- Learn about your personal style of networking – how it helps your influence and how it may hinder
- Assess where to expand critical networks of relationships
- Identify common decision traps that could undermine your actions
- Learn how to make decisions that are more likely to solve challenging problems
- Learn how to build high performing teams
- Discover team decision-making approaches that maximize inventive solutions
- Appreciate the complex dynamics of leading major organizational changes
- Learn the leadership dynamics and capabilities necessary to succeed in all types of environments
- Managers with at least five years of experience
- General managers to executives
- High potential directors
USC, University Park Campus, Los Angeles, CaliforniaCost:$2950June 2, 2015 - June 4, 2015Due to the valuable 360 assessment, registration for this course will close three weeks prior to course start date. The analysis and results from this 360-degree evaluation will be used during the course to help guide you in your leadership development.
This three day interactive program, designed for senior managers, is taught by Jay Conger, recognized throughout the world as an expert on leadership. The Executive Leadership Skills program will give you the framework and tools to understand your personal leadership style and make a significant impact on those around you. You will discover how to keep your employees motivated, how best to communicate, how to build an adaptive team and organization, and how to avoid decision traps that occur when fundamental shifts are unfolding in your organization. You'll leave with a new understanding of high-quality connections and positive leadership that can help others grow, plus a renewed appreciation of your own potential. The program also includes a powerful 360 assessment and post course one-on-one coaching.
TopicsLeadership and Communications: Influence and Persuasion
One one-on-one coaching sessions are included and will be conducted via phone in the few weeks following the Executive Leadership Skills program to ensure improvement in the participants' capabilities in leadership competencies. Additionally, the analysis and results of your 360 assessment will help guide these sessions for optimal results.
Program Schedule and Sessions
NOTE: Schedule subject to change.
The course runs from 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM each day.
Implications for Leaders
Leadership and Communications: Influence and Persuasion
Personal Leadership: A Look at Your Leadership Style
Leveraging Your Network of Relationships for Greater Influence and Impact
Making Better Decisions to Increase Revenue
Leveraging Teams for Optimal Solutions
Leading Organizational Change
Personal Leadership: Leveraging the Spotlight on Your Leadership
Who Should Attend
"If you want to MASTER leadership, attend this course! Learning the difference between managing and leading is powerful knowledge that enabled me to make an impact." – Senior Director, Southern California Gas Company
"This course was an unbelievable experience in reflection and looking ahead. I feel much more confident in my abilities to persuade as well as lead my team.” – Director of Community Relations, Nestle USA
"I would encourage all corporations to send their directors and executives with 10 years management experience to attend. It was a dynamic and relevant program." – Corps Officer, Salvation Army
Using case studies, current business articles, in-class simulation exercises, interaction and small group projects, our faculty will lead you to focus on the key knowledge and skills you need to understand and apply concepts to your organization's activities.
Jay Conger is a world-renowned expert on leadership. He is a research scientist at the Marshall's School Center for Effective Organizations and is the Henry Kravis Chaired Professor of Leadership at Claremont McKenna College. He is also a Visiting Professor of Organisational Behaviour at the London Business School.
Jay was named the best business school professor to teach leadership and one of the top five management education teachers worldwide by Business Week. He has received numerous teaching awards throughout his career. As a management educator and consultant, Jay Conger has worked with more than three hundred companies advising them on leadership, organizational change, board governance and executive development. He has also worked in government and as an international marketing manager for a high technology company.
His insights have been featured in Business Week, The Economist, The Financial Times, Forbes, Fortune, The LA Times, The New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Training and The Wall Street Journal. He has authored fourteen books on leadership and has written over one hundred articles for leading journals, including 'The Necessary Art of Persuasion', 'How to Grow Great Leaders' and 'Make Your Organization a Talent Factory' in the Harvard Business Review.
Jay Conger studied at Dartmouth College and was awarded his MBA at the University of Virginia and his DBA at Harvard Business School. He has been on the faculties of the Harvard Business School, INSEAD, London Business School, McGill University, and the University of Southern California. His research focuses on leadership, corporate boards, persuasion and influencing, organisational change, power and decision making, leading innovation, and empowerment.
$2,950 per person includes tuition, course materials and parking. There is a 10% discount for three or more registrants from the same company.
Executive Leadership Skills has been approved for 25 CPE units all in Personal Development (25).
USC Marshall School of Business is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org
Every reasonable effort will be made to ensure this course runs as described on this web page. Please note that course dates and professors are subject to change. You will be notified by email in advance if there is a date or professor change. Additionally, this course also requires a minimum number of registrants in order to take place. You will be notified by email if the course does not meet this minimum.