Topics Addressed In Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be a current USC student to apply for admission to this program?
No. Anyone who has the necessary qualifications is welcome to apply.
Cost/Tuition and Fees
For those who are not already graduate students at USC, the cost of the program is around $28,000 plus books, fees, insurance, and living expenses. Fees and insurance can total more than $2,000 per year. Living expenses (housing, food, transportation, etc.) run about $20,000 per year. Current USC tuition and fee information is available at http://www.usc.edu/soc. Select the next future semester and then the 'Tuition and Fees' tab on the left side of the screen. Tuition rates do increase each year.
This program is not funded for scholarships. Graduate Certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid. Other scholarship programs might be available. Visit the USC Awards Database for more information.
Career Development and Placement Services
Certificate-only students are provided career transition services through the USC Career Center. Certificate students are encouraged to join graduate student clubs and organizations in their field of interest as well.
Can I start with the certificate and then transfer to the Master of Science in Finance degree?
No. Admission to the Graduate Certificate program will not change your chances of getting into the MS degree program and could create curricular overlap problems that could be expensive. You should apply to the MS program instead. Anyone in the certificate program who is subsequently admitted to the MS program will not be allowed to earn both diplomas, but instead will be required to drop out of the certificate program. Whether or not courses taken for the certificate will be applied to the MS degree is at the discretion of the MS program.
I already hold a master's degree. Do I have to submit test scores?
Holding a prior master’s degree does not exempt applicants from submitting the required test scores. The committee will review the content of the individual’s graduate degree transcript to determine whether that individual is qualified for admission. If the individual attended an institution that does not issue grades or distinguishing evaluative marks, test scores are required. If the individual's performance in the graduate program was marginal, test scores are required. Failing to submit test scores could jeopardize the individual’s admission if the committee asks for scores and the applicant is not able to take the test in time for admission.
Selection to participate in the Marshall Student Investment Fund (SIF) seminar (FBE-553ab) does NOT guarantee admission into the the certificate program. A separate formal application to the certificate program is required. Refer to the instructions under the "Admissions" link.
Certificate students pursuing the corporate finance option who are simultaneously enrolled in the Master of Accounting program may be advised to not take ACCT-572. In this case they may (a) take it anyway for application to the Certificate only or (b) substitute an additional FBE course from the corporate finance option curriculum for ACCT-572 or (c) take ACCT-582 Accounting for Mergers and Acquisitions instead.
Current USC Students - Creating a New Application
You will need to submit a new application to apply for admission to this program. Applications to the Graduate Certificate are submitted on-line via gradadm.usc.edu/apply/.
- Start by applying for an application fee waiver. (First year students must wait until they have completed their first semester to apply for a fee waiver.) Follow the instructions under
step 3 at http://gradadm.usc.edu/apply/us-students/ready-to-apply/ or
step 4 at http://gradadm.usc.edu/apply/international-students/ready-to-apply/
Processing of application fee waivers usually takes 2-3 working days.
- If you have not used this system before, you will need to create a login and password. If you have applied to USC using this system before, use your existing login and password to retrieve your file.
- Select the "Add Program" tab and follow the directions to request an application fee waiver. (Processing usually takes 2-3 working days.)
- Under the "Add Program" tab search for "Program Level" Certificate, find "Marshall School of Business" and select the Graduate Certificate in Financial Analysis and Valuation from the list for the appropriate semester.
- Return to the "My Application" tab and complete the required portions of the application. Test scores and transcripts submitted to USC with your prior application should be on file in the USC admissions system, so you should not have to submit new official scores or official transcripts, but do fill in the requested fields and upload scanned copies as requested to your application.
- In the "Academic Background" section don't forget to add your current USC degree program to your education history.
- In the "Program Materials" quadrant, the "Questions" are required.
- Don't forget to "Submit Application" after you have received your approved application fee waiver.
What did we miss?
For more information, write to Financial.Analysis@marshall.usc.edu or call (213) 740-0671.