- Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Programs
- MBA Programs
- Graduate Accounting Programs
- Specialized Masters Programs
- Executive Education
- Certificate Programs
- PhD Program
- Experiential Learning Center
- Online Degree Programs
- Faculty & Research
- Academic Units
- Centers of Excellence
- Faculty Directory
- Alumni & Friends
- News and Events
- Alumni Online
- Alumni Groups
- Marshall Partners
- Support Marshall
- Contact Us
- USC Marshall Parents
- Corporate Connections
- Engagement Opportunities
- Corporate Advisory Board
- Recruit and Hire
- News Room
- Featured Stories
- Upcoming Events
- Marshall in the Media
- Marshall News
- About Marshall
- Completion of Bachelor's Degree or the Equivalent by Term of Admittance:
Applicants must have completed or expect to complete a four-year bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) by the beginning of the fall 2017 semester with the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA (B average) on the U.S. 4.0 scale. For international applicants, specific equivalencies by country are available on the USC Graduate School website.
- Transcripts (unofficial copies of ALL transcripts must be uploaded):
Uploading unofficial transcripts via the online application system is a requirement to complete the Marshall Ph.D. application. You should not have official transcripts mailed to USC unless we directly request them. If you do have official transcripts mailed to USC, you still need to upload unofficial transcripts in the online application system because the official copies are not immediately available to the Marshall Ph.D. program.
Please do not upload protected PDF copies of the transcript to the online application system.
Official transcripts will be requested of applicants who proceed to Round 2 of applications review. Round 2 decisions are sent in mid- to late-February.
- GRE or GMAT scores (valid scores must be submitted; no exceptions):
- GRE and GMAT should be taken within 5 years from the date of application submission.
- TOEFL and IELTS should be taken within 2 years from the start of the academic semester applied for. For example, when applying for Fall 2016, the TOEFL must be taken after August 1, 2014.
- Uploading unofficial (student) score reports via the online application system is arequirement to complete the Marshall Ph.D. application. We know that you may have requested official score reports be sent to USC when you took your exams, but, unfortunately, these records are not immediately available to the Marshall Ph.D. program. Even if you have requested official score reports to be sent to USC, you still need to upload the unofficial (student) score report to the online system to ensure timely review of your application.
Official test score reports will be requested of applicants who proceed to Round 2 of applications review. Round 2 decisions are sent in mid- to late-February.
- IELTS or TOEFL scores (for international students ONLY; valid scores must be submitted; no exceptions):
Even if you have earned a graduate, master's, and/or Ph.D. degree in the U.S. or another English-speaking country, you must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
You are exempt from submitting the TOEFL or IELTS score if...
- you are a U.S. citizen,
- you are a U.S. permanent resident,
- your native language is English, defined as being from Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Caribbean countries (Antigua, Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Grenadines, Guyana, Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Vincent, Trinidad &Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands), Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, Puerto Rico or United Kingdom, or...
you have a bachelor's degree from the United States, Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Caribbean countries (Antigua, Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Grenadines, Guyana, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands), Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, Puerto Rico or United Kingdom.
All other applicants must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. For exemption #4, note that the entire bachelor's program must be completed in the qualifying country.
TOEFL Score Requirements Test Format Minimum Score Internet-based Total Score=100 and component scores >=20
TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the intended date of enrollment. Applicants for Fall 2016 must have taken the TOEFL between August 2014 and August 2016.
For more information about TOEFL or to register for an exam, visit www.ets.org/toefl. USC's institution code for TOEFL is 4852.
IELTS Score Requirements
Minimum IELTS Score - 7 with at least 6 on each band
For more information, please refer to the USC Graduate Admissions "English Proficiency Criteria".
IELTS scores are valid for two years from the intended date of enrollment. Applicants for Fall 2016 must have taken the IELTS between August 2014 and August 2016. For more information about IELTS or to register for an exam, visit www.ielts.org/
- Passport Copy (for international students ONLY)
- Three Letters of Recommendation:
Letters of recommendations are submitted via the online application system. In the online application, you will submit the names and email addresses of three recommenders. The system will send them an email that provides instructions on how to submit the recommendation letter on your behalf.
The admissions committee prefers recommendations from academics familiar with your scholastic and research capabilities; those from faculty members with whom you have worked in a research capacity are particularly valued. If you have been away from the academic environment, you may submit one reference from a non-academic in place of one academic reference.
- Personal Statement (include Essay Questions below)
A) Statement of Purpose: Please describe why you wish to pursue a Ph.D. degree in Business Administration in your chosen field of specialization. Please also explain why you believe that the Marshall School of Business would be a good fit for you.
B) Research Experience/Interest: Please describe any significant academic research experience you have had, if any. Indicate who you worked with, the topic you studied, the skills you developed, activities you engaged in and the output from the project (e.g., conference paper, publication, etc.). You can also describe your research interest as well.
Marshall Ph.D. Program Required Documents
All required application materials (below) must be submitted. Your application may not be forwarded to the admissions committee if it is missing any required documents. In the online application system, you will be required to fill out four sections. Please refer to the following four sections (Personal Information, Academic History, Supporting Information, and Program Materials) in which to submit your documents.I. Personal Information I. Personal InformationIn this section of the online application, you will be required to provide your personal information such as First and Last (Family) Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Phone Number, Email Address, Mailing Address, etc.
II. Academic History II. Academic History
III. Supporting Information III. Supporting Information
IV. Program Materials IV. Program Materials
Please note that in addition, you must submit an application fee of $90.00.