USC Marshall has partnered with Global Experiences to provide students access to the internship opportunities in Barcelona, as well as arrange housing and provide support while the student is in the country. Students will intern with a firm personally selected based on their interests, background and experience, as well as the needs and requirements of the company. Housing in Barcelona will be shared Spanish-style flats located a reasonable commute from their work.
PROGRAM DATES: JUNE 2 - AUG 3, 2019
- Students Arrive in Barcelona: June 2, 2019
- Orientation: June 2, 2019
- Internship: June 3 - August 2, 2019
- Last Day in Barcelona Residence: August 3, 2019
- This is open to USC undergraduates who will have completed 32 units by January 1, 2019. Of these units, 16 MUST have been taken at USC (for Freshmen and transfer students, you are eligible for the program is you brought in a minimum of 14 AP, IB, or transfer units, and have completed a minimum of 16 units during the Fall 2018 semester.)
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA.
- Applicants must possess a valid passport by January 1, 2019, which is valid until January 30, 2020.
- Although there is no language requirement, some industries require Spanish proficiency. As such, strong applicants are recommended to have some language background.
- Applicants are recommended to have some course background in the field in which they wish to intern. For example, those wishing to intern in Financial Services should have completed at least BUAD 306 Business Finance or a related course. Those looking to go into any general business field should have completed BUAD 304 Leading Organizations, or at least 1 business course. Those looking to intern in event planning or advertising or for an entrepreneurial venture need not have any business course background.
Students will live in shared flats/apartments while in Barcelona. Please be aware that amenities and space is very limited compared to apartments students are used to. Bed linens are provided, towels are not. Flat mates may be other interns in the program, students, or young professionals renting a room. The site for some apartments will range from farther out to close to the city center. When arranging housing, convenient access to public transportation will keep the commute around 45-minutes.
|Program Costs (includes placement, interview(s), orientation and housing in Barcelona)||$6600|
|USC International Insurance||$310|
|Additional Costs (Estimated):|
|Living Expenses: food, local transportation, entertainment, etc. (estimated)||$800|
** Students are responsible for booking their own flights. Students must arrive in Barcelona no later than June 2, 2019. Students must also not depart Barcelona prior to August 3, 2019.
There will be a limited number of scholarships available to students of the program. The scholarship will be awarded based on need and merit, and require submission of an application and financial documentation. These items will be distributed upon admission into the program.
The application is all on-line. If you wish to apply for more than 1 location (ie, Prague and Madrid) you may select up to 3 destinations on your application. You will only submit ONE application. The deadline for receipt of application is November 21, 2018. You will need to upload a resume as well as a copy of your STARS report as part of the on-line application. Please be aware of all corresponding deadlines.
Please note: All students admitted into the program are guaranteed an internship.
Scholarship Application (only submit once if applying to multiple locations)
INTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS: (SUMMER 2019)
Cradled in the northeast Mediterranean coast of mainland Spain is the incredible city of Barcelona. It's the capital of Cataluña, a region of Spain that has its own unique language, culture, traditions, and personality. Barcelona is the economic hub of the region of Cataluña and offers a modern society surrounded by rich history and tradition. Barcelona is a large city, and an average commute may range from 30-45 minutes. An intern’s daily commute will most likely be by metro, bus, and/or on foot.
Participants will have access to internship opportunities spanning a wide variety of business aspects within different industries in a wide range of companies in Barcelona. Knowledge of Spanish is VERY helpful but not-necessary.
Companies will range in size, and vary in their office space. Some companies retain traditional brick and mortar real estate for their offices, while others offer a more modern opportunity in a co-working space
All internships are unpaid. Internship placements in Barcelona are full-time and for 5 days per week (Monday-Friday).
If you would like more information on costs, placement process, which companies and what you will be doing in the internship, please download and read our Winslow-Maxwell Program FAQ’s
The internship placements are made by Global Experiences, and are based on the position and duties you wish to complete (as expressed in your internship essay and interview) during your internship, as well as your experience and skills, and the needs and requirements of the company you will be placed with. Do NOT expect to be working with only a major brand recognized company, as most openings will be with SMEs. In fact, often smaller companies offer opportunities that are more in line with the student interests than larger companies. The goal of the program is to provide students with a quality learning experience, not necessarily for students to work for the biggest company.