Accounting and Auditing Enforcement Release Dataset
The Accounting and Auditing Enforcement Release (AAER) Dataset contains 4,012 instances of misstatements investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission between May 17, 1982 to December 31, 2018. This dataset provides access to three files for each enforcement release: the details, quarterly and annual files.
Detail files contain:
- Firm name and its identifiers
- Individual AAER number as identified by the SEC
- Explanation for issuing the enforcement release
- The balance sheet and/or income statement accounts affected by the violation
- One observation per firm misstatement event
Annual and Quarterly files are compiled from the Detail file and formatted by the reporting period when the misstatement occurred.
Annual and Quarterly files include:
- Firm name and identifiers
- AAERs with alleged financial misstatements
- The year and/or quarter-end when the misstatements occurred
- Information on whether earnings or revenues were misrepresented
- One observation for each year or quarter affected by the violation
Click on the following link to Purchase the AAER Dataset:
SEC's AAERs can be found on the following link: http://www.sec.gov/divisions/enforce/friactions.shtml
A detailed description of the data collection is available in Dechow, Ge, Larson and Sloan (2011) Predicting Material Accounting Misstatements. Contemporary Accounting Research, 28: 17–82.
Published version: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1911-3846.2010.01041.x