The Career Advantage Program (CAP) is offered through the Marshall Undergraduate Career Services Office and provides Marshall undergraduate sophomore, junior and senior-level majors the opportunity to be paired with Marshall alumni and friends of the university. The CAP mentor will assist their mentees in developing the professional, interpersonal and networking skills critical to their career success for the entire 2021-2022 academic year. Mentors and their groups of 2-3 students connect and grow through professional development and social activities, and are expected to dedicate a minimum of five (5) hours per month to CAP. More than 350 students and 125 mentors across all business disciplines participate in CAP every year.
2021-2022 CAP Programming + COVID-19 Update: The USC Marshall Undergraduate Career Services CAP team is planning to host a hybrid of virtual as well as safe, small in-person CAP 2021-2022 events which will follow USC and government/ health agency guidelines as it relates to COVID-19. We will give CAP 2021-2022 participants as much advanced notice as possible regarding the logistics of each individual event. Should mentor(s) and mentee(s) feel comfortable meeting up in person this upcoming 2021-2022 academic year, we ask that you follow university and government/ health agency guidelines and practice safe social distancing.
CAP is a competitive program and eligible students are NOT guaranteed a mentor. Below is the CAP 2021-2022 student application timeline:
- Monday, April 12, 2021: An email will be sent to all current Marshall undergraduate freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior (Dec. 2021) majors with program details and application instructions for CAP 2021-2022.
- Returning CAP students: If you were in CAP during the 2020-2021 academic year, you will need to reapply. No preferential admission treatment will be given to students who have already participated.
- Friday, May 28, 2021: Deadline for students to submit their application for CAP 2021-2022.
- Friday, June 25, 2021: Students notified of their eligibility to participate in the CAP 2021-2022 mentor-mentee matching process.
We are seeking mentors with at least three (3) years of professional work experience in the areas of accounting, advertising, consulting, data analytics, entertainment / media, entrepreneurship, finance, general management, hospitality, law, marketing, tech, real estate, and sports management. We require that mentors be located in Southern California and that they travel less than 25% in order to participate in this program (*consultants excluded). Mentors should be able to mentor at least 2 mentees and commit to a minimum of five (5) hours per month for an entire academic year. USC alumni and friends of the University are welcome!
- Prospective CAP Mentors:
- Monday, April 26, 2021: The USC Marshall Undergraduate Career Services Office will be emailing all prospective 2021-2022 CAP mentors our program details and application instructions on Monday, April 26th. If you do not receive this email and are interested in becoming a CAP mentor, email CAPmentoring@marshall.usc.edu. *Note that new mentor spots are limited.
- Current 2020-2021 CAP Mentors:
- Monday, April 12, 2021: current 2020-2021 CAP mentors will be asked to fill out an end-of-year survey and indicate if interested in returning to CAP for the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year.
- Friday, April 23, 2021: Deadline to complete the end-of-year survey and indicate if returning to CAP for the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year.